Re: Manual pages

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 12:16:34PM +0100, Jonas Liljegren wrote:
>Brendan O'Dea wrote:
>
>> Man pages for perl packages are installed to /usr/share/man/man[13]
>> with the extensions .1 and .3.

This has changed in -21, the module extension is now ".3perl" as man-db
was choosing open(3) over open(2).

>> Modules installed by MakeMaker's vendor install use the same
>> directories although with extensions .1p and .3pm to avoid potential
>> conflicts.
>
>mandb complains about competing extensions:
>
>mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man3/CGI::Push.3pm*: competing extensions

>And why is 3pm files mixed with 3pm.gz files?

Because manual pages installed by CPAN/MakeMaker are not compressed.

>I like the CPAN module and would like new modules to replace older
>manual pages.  Maby I could edit perls Config.pm to use .1 and .3?
>But how can I make the newly installed modules using gz?

The @INC ordering now allows you to install newer versions of modules in
/usr/local which will be selected before those included in the perl
packages.  I would suggesr installing there, rather than overwriting the
modules in the package.

>Another ting:  The perl policy used to be located in perl-doc.  Where
>am I supposed to find it now?

In debian-policy eventually (#83977), but that procedure is taking
somewhat longer than expected.  In the interim you can find it at:

    http://people.debian.org/~bod/perl-policy/

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633