Re: debconf problems

Timothy Bedding wrote:
> My question is: Which of these should I remove? How can I tell
> which is not part of a debian package? Is there a command that
> I should use?

dpkg -S file

> As to where it came from, well, I am not sure. I have just
> been adding and removing debian packages from www.debian.org
> and so I assume that both files are from packages.

I think you'll find that the one in /usr/lib is not. It'd be interesting
to see the date that file was created.

(For the debian-perl readers: This is a problem that is cropping up with
several people, they all seem to have a /usr/lib/perl5/base.pm that does
not beling to any package, and dates from perl 5.004 or so (lacks a
VERSION, so it's hard to tell). It breaks debconf badly. Here we see the
problem with letting local installs shodow core. :-/)

I don't know if it's coming from CPAN, or local mistakes, or a badly
broken old perl package that doesn't remove it on upgrade.)

--
see shy jo