Re: State of the Art wrt XML/XSL.

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 10:07:12PM +0200, Michael Koehne wrote:
> Moin Fred Reimer,
>
> > So you select a package and when it was installed your system would run
> > something like "perl -MCPAN -e 'install XML::XPath'"
>
>   This is only half of the bill ;-( there are debian systems without
>   a C compiler, and they may need Perl modules also ;-) Even if it
>   sound heretic. ActiveState did it right for their Windows integration.
>
>   They asked MakeMaker to become changed to produce a makefile, that
>   builds their binarie packages right out of the box. And they uploaded
>   their efforts (unlike the debian ignorants ;-) to CPAN, so we could
>   copy this aproach. We would only need to parse the XML of the PPM,
>   to produce a Debian compilant binary package.

I doesn't understand much... Did ActiveState MakeMaker download a compiler
too or simply download the already compiled binaries from their sites.
For people with Debian System that want to rebuild their system through CPAN,
I think we could state that they will have a compiler installed at least (same
assumptions for apt-get source -b ... make and necessary compilations tools
must be installed).

[delete related issues I already agree with...]

--
Fabien Niñoles                /  /          fabien@tzone.org