Re: Whoever owns Perl?

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:32:15PM -0500, John MacPhail wrote:
>From the October archives of this list, it seems you (implicitly)
>orphaned Perl, and then Brendan O'Dea gave notice of his intention to
>adopt it.  Yet there are two competing sets of packages:
>
>      http://incoming.debian.org    -- by Darren Stalder;
>      http://master.debian.org/~bod -- by Branden O'Dea.
>
>Perhaps this situation contains subtleties that I am missing.  But do
>you disagree with the adoption?

The situation is fairly simple.  Darren (for reasons he has since
explained) went AWOL for some time.

During that period, I proposed that we should drop the version from the
package names and built some packages to support that proposal (the
second URL above).

As time went by, I continued to update those packages since myself and
others were using them.

At about this time, Darren re-surfaced, indicated his wish to retain the
packages and made what I believed to be a commitment to get packages in
by a certain date.

As that date passed with no sign of packages or even a message to -perl,
I assumed (incorrectly it would seem) that Darren had again disappeared
from sight, and after a couple of days I posted an ITA.

That ITA was indirectly responded to by Darren who uploaded his packages
to incoming.

The current situation is that a set of perl-5.6 packages are currently
in woody, maintained by Darren who has promised to upload new versions
of 5.004, 5.005 and 5.6 shortly which remove the mess of alternatives.

I still maintain that versioned perl packages as currently installed are
flawed WRT our dependency system.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9810 3633