Re: A proposal: un-split perl packages for 5.6.0

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 04:07:23AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
>Brendan O'Dea wrote:
>> The current test packages have a perlapi version of 5.005-5.6.0-0test2,
>> so the dependencies are met, as they are if a later version removes the
>> 5.005 compatibility (the version changing to say 5.6.0-5.6.1-5).
>
>If this later version removes 5.005 compatability, we do have to rebuild
>all binary perl modules pretty quickly or in a staging area, right?
>Cause it'll be impossible to have an old binary module package installed
>with the new perl..

Sure, but you need to do that anyway.  Under the current situation you
can still have old binary modules installed, but since they're ignored
by a newer perl binary there's not really much point.

There is really no way around the requirement for recompiling binary
modules as successive perl versions are installed.  This proposal
however should give a reasonable grace-period over which such modules
may be re-built.

An automated process to file bugs against all binary modules when a
release of perl changes the apiversion should be fairly easy to
implement.

Regards,
--
Brendan O'Dea                                        bod@compusol.com.au
Compusol Pty. Limited                  (NSW, Australia)  +61 2 9809 0133