Re: Updating outreach-team policy related to internship-like programs

On 23/03/22 07:46 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-03-22 at 20:03 +0530, Abhijith PA wrote:
>
> >    Policy says interns must have individual wiki page with their
> >    contact details and then a wiki page for the project with mentor
> >    and mentors are encouraged to create another wiki page with their
> >    details.
> >
> > Isn't better to combine all three in a single wiki page under their
> > project name ?
>
> This part of the policy appears optimised for the situation where both
> the intern and the mentor are currently or are intending to be ongoing
> Debian contributors; having their contact details on one page means
> less places to update when those details change.
>
> This is the way things are done on the Debian wiki for contributors who
> haven't come to Debian through the outreach programs.

Ok then.

> > Please also suggest points that you want to remove or add.
>
> The existing policies all look reasonable to me.
>
> I would also like to see some sort of final announcement from the
> intern and or mentor to the audience for the work about the impact of
> their changes on that audience and perhaps directly to the wider Debian
> community, when that is appropriate. These could be summarised in a
> bits.debian.org post once the outreach program season has concluded.

I agree. I also want to see something like this from the interns.

IMO, a well written summary mail/blog at the end of the program is
more likely to be read by the community than timely reports.

Also to note, during debconf there is a slot for GSoC/Outreachy
interns to present their work. I couldn't see anything about this
in policy but its happening every year. So interns work is not
something that exist only in outreach circle as you mentioned

> Perhaps this could be come an optional policy to start with and
> tested for the current or next round of internships.

Ok. If there are no objections from others, we can ask interns (or
mentors) to publish from this year.

--abhijith