Re: Project idea for GSoC

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 5:29 PM Frans Spiesschaert <Frans.Spiesschaert@yucom.be> wrote:

I think this is a wonderful proposal. By joining forces and avoiding duplicate efforts, a completely free IT solution tailored to schools could only gain in quality and attractiveness.
The Debian Edu documentation is certainly a good starting point to get a clear idea of its internals. Its version on Jenkins (https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/debian-edu-doc/debian-edu-doc-en/debian-edu-bookworm-manual.html) is always up to date. This document has also been partially translated into Italian (https://jenkins.debian.net/userContent/debian-edu-doc/debian-edu-doc-it/debian-edu-bookworm-manual.html).
However, I won't be available this summer and I think I don't have enough technical skills to act as a mentor. Perhaps some other Debian Edu developer is willing to take on this role.

Dear Frans, thank you for your support.

Because it is already late, I have just added a template project on the GSoC list, as a placeholder:
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2022/PendingProjects/BringingFUSSandDebianEduCloser

Now it is up to the people from FUSS and DebianEdu to meet and discuss with each-other about the details of the project and how they would like to manage it.
I could also help as a secondary mentor, but I will also not be available during this summer.

I hope that this project idea will move forward and will be successful.

Regards,
Dashamir