Re: [GSoC] advice on license compatibility

On 7/23/18 7:32 AM, Andrea Trentini wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm one of the mentors of GSoC project BootTorrent (https://github.com/shreyanshk/boottorrent),
> since we would like to pack 'opentracker' (https://erdgeist.org/arts/software/opentracker/) into
> BootTorrent but they differ in license (GPL vs. beerware) we'd like to receive advice about the
> compatibility of the two licenses: can a beerware product be included[1] into a GPLed product?
> I believe so but I'm not sure.

I seriously doubt that "beerware" is a valid software license and I
really wish people would not find it funny to come up with their own
licenses. However, that's probably not a serious problem, although
ftp-masters swill have the final say on that.

On the technical side: why do you want to package the two software
together? It seems to be that they are useful independently. Thus, I
would suggest to package opentracker and have the boottorrent package
Depend on it.

I don't know how tight the integration is, but ideally, the boottorrent
package could only depend on a general tracker implementation and
Suggest opentracker the way it is usually done for web servers or smtp
servers.

Cheers,
Dan