GSoC weekly report of Vishal Gupta for week 9

One of the key elements of my proposal (Click-to-dial pop-up window) was to link my application to the user's phone, since it's often the primary device used to place calls and store phone numbers.
The aim of last week was to explore kdeconnect, which was developed by KDE to connect a desktop with one's Android phone using a desktop application and a Android application installed on devices on the same LAN, communicating using a TCP socket.

The application already supports a few features such as Sharing files, Virtual touchpad, Notification sync, Shared clipboard, etc.

A part of their application was also supposed to be capable of handling tel links but it wasn't getting installed. It seems like a bug. I tried making changes to their desktop application but their debian package is significantly behind their development branch and I had some issues building their desktop application.

Hence I have improvised and used a feature of their cli called --ping-msg which was meant to send a String to the android application and display the same with a Notifcation. I made changes to their android application in order to parse ping messages starting with ::DIALER with another function. I am now sending information through to the android application by seperating arguments with ::

For example,
Note : f69e2e8ac00b140d is the device ID of my android phone
kdeconnect-cli -d f69e2e8ac00b140d --ping-msg "::DIALER::DIAL::9176119388"
Will pop up a notification to dial the number 9176119388, which when clicked, opens a dialer

kdeconnect-cli -d f69e2e8ac00b140d --ping-msg "::DIALER::ADD::9176119388::Vishal"
Will pop up a notification to add a contact Vishal (9176119388), which when clicked, opens the add contact screen on the user's phone.

I have uploaded a screenshot here

Thanks,
Vishal Gupta