Re: wizard for onboarding interns/applicants

On 24/01/18 09:16, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> On 24/01/18 05:24, mollydb wrote:
>>
>>> While I've personally proposed more than one idea, there are several
>>> co-mentors I'm speaking to for each of them.  As long as each one has
>>> sufficient co-mentors and at least one motivated applicant why shouldn't
>>> we request slots for all of them?
>>>
>>> Personally, I'm not going to commit myself to more than one project this
>>> year.  Deciding which project I will personally be mentoring will depend
>>> on the level of interest from co-mentors and students for each of the ideas.
>> I spoke with some people from the Google Open Source team who suggested
>> that, while we can have as many proposals as we'd like, we highlight the
>> top five we're most excited about. This helps them during the review
>> process. While we can have more listed overall, it was
>> requested/suggested we prioritize our top five.
>

> OK, if this is just for the review process then it is probably good to
> focus on 5 of the projects that already have more than one mentor and
> from those, picking 3-4 with really clear goals and maybe 1-2 that are
> more flexible (like the PGP clean room, it is quite big and a student
> could choose to focus on any part of it).  Aiming for different themes
> and programming languages could be useful too (e.g. one security, one
> development tools, one web project, ...)
>
> Later on, I'm concerned about putting effort into promoting the program
> if we are not going to have a similar probability of getting slots as we
> had in the past.  If we build up 25 really good applications like we did
> in 2016 and Google only funds 5 of them then the mentors working on the
> other 20 have lost a lot of time.
>
> Will you be at FOSDEM next week and will you have time to discuss this
> more in person?

Molly, I'd like to revive this after looking at the feedback[1] from
Nicolas last year.

In that case, he wrote that Google told us the issue was "most notably
the weakness of our projects page during the Google review" yet we had
more than the five proposals you mention.

It is not clear if you mean to delete some of the projects listed on the
page or if you are going to list a subset on the main GSoC page of the
wiki or if you will send a list of five projects to Google through some
other channel, can you please clarify that?

The other thing about our ideas list now is that some of them don't have
multiple mentors yet.  Will this be a "weakness" based on the criteria
they used last year?  I don't want to waste the time of other potential
mentors yet if they don't need to add their names until later but if
they do need to be on the page now, please tell us.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-outreach/2017/02/msg00008.html