Re: Packages default config

On 12/17/20 11:30 AM, Arnaud Morin wrote:
> Hey team,
>
> First, thanks for all the work you did on packaging OpenStack in debian.
> This is amazing work.
>
> I have been playing with the packages in the past few days, and saw some
> eventual issues that I'd like to discuss with you.
>
> First, I am *not* using OCI, mostly because I dont need it and I already
> had some ansible playbooks to manage the configuration / installation of
> openstack.
>
> As far as I can see, the packages are setting some params in the config
> files, such as region_name or service_name.
>
> If I am correct, this is done thanks to openstack-pkg-tools during
> postinstall.
> The thing is, for example in glance, the region_name was set to
> regionOne insead of RegionOne (which is the default name in OS code).
> The result is that glance was not working correctly.
>
> Of course I can overwrite this params through my ansible playbooks.
> My question behind this is why are you setting some params from
> packages?
>
> Also, I did this patch [1], in order to set region_name correctly.
> Would you mind checking if this is the right place to do it?
>
> Thanks
>

> [1] https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/debian/openstack-pkg-tools/-/merge_requests/1

Hi,

Thanks a lot for joining, and very warm welcome!

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with what you wrote above. The packages
*do not* override things in the configuration files. If they did, this
would be an RC bug. If you manually configure the region name, and do a
dpkg-reconfigure glance-api / glance-common, for example, the value will
show in debconf as it was configured.

Everything has been carefully written so that the config script is
reading the current value from the configuration file, and seeds this
into debconf, then then postinst writes whatever is (still / modifled)
in the debconf database, as per the Debian policy. If you do see a place
where that's not the case, please let the team know, and we will address
the problem ASAP.

As a result, what you wrote above is simply (and sorry to say it this
way): wrong. The debconf interface does *not* go in your way to
configure things with a configuration management tool. I use puppet
myself, and there's absolutely zero problem for the packages to use
Debconf to configure the system, and specifically concerning the region
name.

What you are saying about the default region thing, well, the Debian
packages are setting-up a default "RegionOne", when the OpenStack
standard is more "regionOne", that's truth. But I don't see anything
wrong with this. It is very easy to reconfigure, either by hand, or
using the debconf interface. I haven't heard anyone yet (but you) saying
that this would be a problem. Especially, the Kolla / OSA guys that went
in the #debian-openstack channel never complained about it.

> Also, I did this patch [1], in order to set region_name correctly.

There's no such thing as the "correct" region_name, IMO. Just set
(manually?) whatever you like, or preseed the debconf value to a
sensible default that pleases you if you don't like the default
behavior. That's precisely what debconf is for: so that it could be
preseeded with anything you like. The alternative is having your
favorite config management solution to fix it.

If you don't know how to do preseeding, let me know (on this list, or
IRC, or otherwise...), and I'll show you how it works.

Changing the default configuration value would be an unexpected change
for Debian users. Therefore, I do not want to merge your patch, and
rejected it (sorry). I hope you understand why.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)