Re: OCI - small cluster and switft zones

On 5/26/20 8:19 PM, Erwan MAS wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I want to add a feature to OCI , but before i want to have some feedback .
>
> Currently each zone/locations must have his own IP network .
> I want to have the same IP network but different allocation range .
>
> The new feature will be :
>   have the ability to specify the allocation range .
>

> With this feature :
>   - i can  keep the  replication feature of swift , but without the need to split my IP space.
>   - i manage situations where you have some customs rules about IP allocations .
>
> In OCI , you have already in the table networks , columns first_ip & last_ip .
>
> To build this , il will modify :
>
> - ocicli to add optional options first, last  IP
> - api.php to manage this parameter

Hi Erwan,

It's great that we're now exchanging in public, on this list. Thanks for
the effort, it's much appreciated.

Typically, swift store and swift proxies are under a private range, so I
really don't see how this can be an issue, unless you have millions of
servers...

What exactly are you trying to do? Put all servers of multiple swift
zone / region on the same IP pool? Well, you can already do that, the
only thing you must do is modify the swift ring. OCI helps you with the
initial ring, but later on, you got to manually manage it anyways.

Anyway, if you still want to move forward with this (which really is ok
if you feel like it...), more than the change in the code, I'd like to
ask you what change you'll do in the db. How will you track which server
is in which zone/region?

I don't understand why you need to change the order of things to achieve
what you want. Is this even related ? ocicli has this logic:

ocicli <ACTION> <WHAT-TO-MODIFY> <OPTIONS>

It's like this everywhere in ocicli. Do you want to change this logic
everywhere? Why? :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)