Re: LibreOffice jar's: maven meta data

Hello,

Rene Engelhard schrieb am 22.01.2014, 10:09 +0100:
>> In the last discussion
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2013/08/msg00167.html
>> it was said that Debian should not include the pom.xml's since upstream doesn't
>> ship them either. I talked with the upstream developer of my LibreOffice
>> extension and he said it is logical that Libreoffice doesn't ship pom.xml files;
>> Maven is not their build system.
>
>Good. :)
>
>> When you package a Maven program, you have to make sure that each of your java
>> dependencies ships Maven meta informaation and since we have a "offline maven
>> repository" in Debian under /usr/share/maven-repo, it is a part of Debians
>> repository. So it makes in my opinion sense to add pom.xml files to
>> libreoffice-java-common.
>
>AFAICS this is not LibreOffices problem
>
>If people use maven for stuff where they *know* that stuff they rely on has no maven
>information *they* need to get around that and/or not use maven.
>There's "simple" ant etc, too without needing POMs.
Unfortunately this is only partially true. You can't simply use ant. You can
auto-generate ant build files with maven and patch those until they fit your
needs, But you also have to create the LibreOffice extension with is cumbersome
if not done with the original maven plugin(s). This means reimplementing
everything related to creating a LO extension, so I would create a
Debian-specific build system for my package.

You also can't get around this problem with maven. There is a "system" scope
which permits you to use files instead of meta information from the maven-repo,
but those files NEED a version number. Version numbers however are missing for
juh.jar, etc. This would also mean, if we had version numbers, that every new
version of LibreOffice would require a new upload of my extension.

>It's IMHO not the case that the peeople who don't have the POMs because
>they don't need it care for the person who has choosen using maven.
>> Please consider adding the meta information.
>And maintaining it myself?
Maintaining three pom.xml's is AFAIK not so much maintenance. And I don't say
that you are responsible for providing me with this meta information.
The debian-java team often adds maven meta information to their packages for
others who need it since you otherwise just can't package the program for
Debian.

I see currently no other way for java LO extensions build with maven, or do you?

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?de-0