Re: Accept UNO connections from bibus by default?

Und es begab sich am 18.05.2009 23:52, dass Rene Engelhard schrieb:
>> in OOo (via Trusted File Locations). The other one would be getting upstream
>> to digitally sign the macro (or do it myself?) and get this signature
>> pre-accepted in (Debian's) OOo (via Trusted Certificates). Is there any more
>
> Sounds both doable. I think the first one has the weakness that
> everything put ito the path is  then trusted, no? If someone sees this
> and knows where bibus is.. ;-)
Yes, it's better to not do it this way. And the macro-signing way might also
involve some work without too much improvement in user experience, as it
would rely on the user installing an OOo update which includes the
certificate, if I understood the process correctly. This might be easy to
achieve within Debian, but for the general bibus-user it might not be so easy.

>> could be enabled "behind the scenes" automagically during bibus install?
>> That would be the optimum solution.
>
> Hm. Given the steps above I don't think it's possible except when you write
> a script or or in python (python-uno) to do the stuff. Too much overhead imho.
I talked to upstream and he said, it's fairly simple to do actually. It's
just about changing one property in OOo's configuration file. In early
versions of bibus he did like this, but switched to the macro-based thing
later, because the location of the configuration files may change during OOo
upgrades (e.g. OOo 2 to OOo 3 it changed...) thus breaking bibus'
installation/configuration. But the macro-based approach will always work.

So the Right(TM) solution would be (as you pointed out above) to write some
python-uno script which uses OOo's own management stuff
(com.sun.star.configuration.ConfigurationProvider?) to do the same thing as
the macro is doing, only without the need of a running OOo and user
interaction. If there would be anybody, who could do this
quickly+easily+..., that would be great. I started looking into it, but I
will first have to learn general interaction with OOo through python-UNO at
all. I have no idea about all this... I am probably going to continue
searching the web for something similar - maybe somebody else already solved
a similar problem.
If anybody would have some pointer, I'd be very grateful!

Best Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Beyer				happy Debian Maintainer	;-)

mail	jan@beathovn.de			GPG key ID 0x0CA6B4AA
jabber	beathovn@jabber.org
web	http://www.beathovn.de/