RESOLVED [was: Re: OOo2 sarge backport fails]

Rene wrote:

> gij-4.0 doesn't exist on sarge and so its dependencies cannot make
> problems. If you have it available you have a mix... Not to mention OOo
> doesn't directly depend on gij-4.0 but does so on java-gcj-compat, which
> neither is in sarge.

Yes, I have a few unstable packages.

> Yes. -base depends on a JDK. In sid this is fullfillable by
> java-gcj-compat (i.e. gij-4.0) but not in sarge. In sarge the only
> option is j2sdk1.4 - or some other package providing java2-runtime.

> Ignore gij-4.0 for the sarge backport.
>
> We are currently thinking about making the Java dependency from -base a
> Recommends to prevent problems like that. Note that you happily can
> install the other modules without -base (the Database module) if you
> want.

Not for me... unfortunately.  Moving aside apt preferences, commenting
out the unstable archive in apt sources, doing apt-get update, and
trying again... it still breaks.

If I attempt to install openoffice.org with aptitude without -base:

> The following packages depend on openoffice.org-base and will be broken by its removal:
> * openoffice.org depends on openoffice.org-base

But wait... choosing the modules, /without/ openoffice.org, works!  It
installs.

But it won't work:

~$ oowriter &

Wait!  After about 6 minutes... watching top, seeing kaffe-bin take 76%
cpu, I see an OOo logo... and this:

~$ javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!

Now I have a working OOo, of course using 30.0% memory per top (of 256mb
total).

Thanks.  I can work with this.  :)  Any ideas on how to eliminate the
wait time that OOo takes looking for the non-existing JRE?

Ralph

P.S.  Please cc: me on replies as I'm not subscribed.