Re: RESOLVED [was: Re: OOo2 sarge backport fails]

Ralph Katz wrote:
> Wait!  After about 6 minutes... watching top, seeing kaffe-bin take 76%
> cpu, I see an OOo logo... and this:
>
> ~$ javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
>
> Now I have a working OOo, of course using 30.0% memory per top (of 256mb
> total).
>
> Thanks.  I can work with this.  :)  Any ideas on how to eliminate the
> wait time that OOo takes looking for the non-existing JRE?

Well, I know it is probably not what you hoped to hear, but did you think
about Blackdown Java. I know, it is non-free, but it actually works, and
1.4.* is apparently available for sarge as well. Put this to
your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/java/debian/ sarge non-free

(or other mirror from
<http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java-linux-d2.html>). It is nice that
there is totally free (or at least in contrib -- help files) version of OOo
for Debian, but you do not have to torture yourself with the current
stable.

What about this?

Best,

Mat?j

They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of
human knowledge.
      -- Thomas Brackett Reed