Re: RESOLVED [was: Re: OOo2 sarge backport fails]

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Ralph Katz wrote:

Wait!  After about 6 minutes... watching top, seeing kaffe-bin take 76%
cpu, I see an OOo logo... and this:

Your problem is probably a mixed up set of alternatives. Install a complete,
working java runtime environment (kaffe apparently is not able to run OOo2,
from what you report) then make sure that all relevant alternatives point to
it. I use the blackdown 1.4 java port, debianised using the tools in
java-package, since it's available in the same version for both amd64 and
i386. I made sure that the alternatives it offers (look in
/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives) have a higher priority than all the others and
this magically produced a working OOo2. Actually, I can seamlessly use
either the binaries which can be downloaded from OOo (after properly
unpacking them to /usr/local) or the debian backport. Both work. However,
since I had already done the work of installing the original binaries, I
left them running on the cluster I administer, in production, I only
installed the sarge backport on my development/testing workstation.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.