Problem with encoding (OpenOffice.org and Gnome)

There's a little encoding problem with the OpenOffice.org Debian package (1.1.3), with the GTK
interface and using Gnome 2.8.3. I speak Brazilian Portuguese, and I use ISO-8859-1. When I try
to open a file that have a special caracter in the name (accents specially, very used in
Portuguese), the load screen of OpenOffice.org appears, but when it try to open the file, an
error message appears saying the it was no possible to open the file, and the filename is
shown, for example: "V%6Edeos". I tried the official Brazilian package (www.openoffice.org.br),
it works well. I converted the system to UTF-8, and so, the  Debian package works well, but it
was not possible to maintain the codification, I really need to use the ISO-8859-1.

Thanks for the help.
Allan.