Re: How to create deb binary for openoffice

* Ismas Suraya (ismas78@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to Debian and now try using & customizing Knoppix on my own.
> I would like to add an openoffice package which has been precompiled with
> malay spellchecker in tar.gz format into the customized Knoppix, which I
> want it to be default (to replace the preinstalled openoffice)
> How to create deb binary (*.deb) from that package?I tried use alien but
> quite confused. Can I use alien -d file.tar.gz command? When I tried that
> it create a file.deb but when I tried to install using dpkg -i
> file.deb it didn't work.
> It just uncompress the tar.gz file. Do we need more than 1 binary file for
> openoffice, e.g separate binary file for spellchecker?
> Can anybody help or guide me on this matter?
> Thank you very much, really appreciate any help.

Alien is used for converting from one packaging system to another,
e.g. rpm to debian.

Your /usr/share/doc/HOWTO directory should contain the
Debian-Binary-Packaging-HOWTO. It's all there.  Read it carefully.

Cheers

Cam

--
Cam Ellison  Ph.D.  R.Psych. #01417