How to create deb binary for openoffice

Hi there,

I'm new to Debian and now try using & customizing Knoppix on my own.
I would like to add an openoffice package which has been precompiled with
malay spellchecker in tar.gz format into the customized Knoppix, which I
want it to be default (to replace the preinstalled openoffice)
How to create deb binary (*.deb) from that package?I tried use alien but
quite confused. Can I use alien -d file.tar.gz command? When I tried that
it create a file.deb but when I tried to install using dpkg -i
file.deb it didn't work.
It just uncompress the tar.gz file. Do we need more than 1 binary file for
openoffice, e.g separate binary file for spellchecker?
Can anybody help or guide me on this matter?
Thank you very much, really appreciate any help.