Re: OOImpress unusable : Please Do something about bug #273298 #273335

[ stop Cc'ing me, I am subscribed to -openoffice ]

Eric Valette wrote:
> >I sometimes do not to reply to obvious bugs as long/until as there are no
> >questions or testing of possible fixes necessary. This is not because I
> >don't
> >care but simly the time is limited.
>
> Saying you can reproduce the bug is already valuable information. Saying
> you have no time to fix is is also important as I can probably fix it
> myself (at least the crash...). If noone respond, nobody is able to know
> if there is someone on the line...

And if you didn't yet have time to test whether the bug is reproducible
you could not reply yet....

> OK you have problems, I have mines and I depend on Impress for a lot of
> things. If debian, as an organization, is not capable of aggregating
> enough people on this _important_ software, this is _then_ an
> organisational problem but did you ever requested help? Openoffice s the
> way to attract people to non windows OS, provided it works on all platform.

We were starting to compose a "we-need-help" page on OOo Con....

The main problem is that OOo is soo big that not really many
people want to (co-)maintain it. Even me "slipped in" before it entered
Debian in the 1.0.x times...

> Somehow, the last package incarnation has _clearly_ not been tested
> because any impress user will notice the bug and find Impress is unusable...

I quickly tested it before upload. It printed (main fix in the source --
as bugreports tell severly broken more than before :/) and I
tested basic writer, calc and impress functions.

They worked. And we were in a hurry since that security problem had
to be fixed.

> >No. There is color (and just color) formatting bugs and for the "normal"
> >formatting you still could use the buttons. I agree that this is a really
> >annoying bug and this somehow needs to be fixed but it does not render
> >_the whole application_ unusable which is the definition of grave.
>
> No that not true. Whole characters Selection/Operation is completely
> broken as
> 	1) the Character menu segfault as soon as you want something on the
> second or third menu items,

Right, those stuff *is* broken. Nobody claimed that it is not. It is a
real *important* bug.

But you could use the buttons to use the basic formatting. Yes, that the
character stuff segfaults is bad, but you can use OOo Impress. Not as
complete as you probably want but you can use it => usable. That it is
buggy is some other part of the story but it is *not* unusable.

But well...

> 	2) selection is forgotten when you open the color menu,

That is the color bug. See above.

> >That is the interesting part. 1.1.2-4 just contained a security fix and
> >some fixes for printing. Hmm. Maybe that broke it... But I currently
> >don't have an idea why...
>
> Surely not tested enough... I hope it is just a problem with development

Yeah, I admit that. But well, there was a security bug to fix and I
tested printing, calc and writer and basic impress stuff (foils, formats
with the buttons, etc..)

I am not sure the environment mattered, although I built 1.1.2-4 on
sarge instead of sid because I at that time didn't have a working net
connection at home and thefore couldn't use pbuilder/sbuild...

And: I am not really a excellent coder regarding OOo or debugging expert,
so.... :(

*sigh*

I am trying to look after it after your first post but building OpenOffice.org
fully takes half a day and then I need to fix a build failure occuring with debug=yes
builds.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73