Re: Copy & Paste in Calc changes date - nasty

On (17/11/04 08:16), Jim Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 03:00:12PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> >
> > It is quite a feature and I can see how it could be useful.  However, I
> > exchange spreadsheets with windows users and I suspect that the problem
> > arises because Excel uses a different base date.  Some of my
>
> Clive,
>
> if this is important for you, then you could store the dates in three
> columns as day-month-year and use the date formula to produce the dates.
> this is tiring but portable. for example
>
> A1=2001
> A2=12
> A3=5
> A4=DATE(A1;A2;A3)
Being aware of the issue is fine for me ;) I'll know when it happens
again and how to fix it (I think).

However, I suspect that my windows afflicted corrspondents might find
this symptomatic of a lesser application (than MS Office) and may fail
to spot the unique advantages of such flexibility (if indeed it is
unique).

Anyway thanks for the tip.  When I find some time I shall experiment
further.

Regards

Clive

--