Re: Copy & Paste in Calc changes date - nasty

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:08:09PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've encountered a curious problem which has serious repercussions.
>
> Briefly it involves copying transaction data from one sheet to another.
>
> When I copy all the data (including the date column) from one sheet to
> another, 4 years and a day are added to every date in the column.
>
> Should I file a bug?  I am happy to send the sheets in question to an
> individual but not the list.

Clive,

Date values are stored as a number such that =value(now()) will
reveal.

I had a look at your workbooks. There is a setting in menu- tools- options-
spreadsheet -calculate which allows the user to choose the date to be
applied to day zero. Your two workbooks have different selections for this
option. One starts time at 30 december 1899 while the other starts time at 1
january 1904.

So when a copy and paste is done between the two workbooks, the date values
(numbers) are transferred exactly but the selection for day zero is not
transferred. Hence the same date values report different dates in the two
workbooks.

I think the conclusion is this is a feature, but I agree it is dangerous. My
suggestion is to file an enhancement request upstream.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/project_issues.htm

thanks

jim