Call for OOo user interface font size testers
[Sorry, I pressed send to early and a draft went to debian-openoffice]
I've uploaded 1.1.0-2.3pre1 packages of openoffice.org and
openoffice.org-bin to the unstable section of our mirrors , and I'd
be grateful if people who have had problems with the user interface font
size in 1.1.0-1 and 1.1.0-2 could try them out before they go to
unstable, and let us know the results.
Here is a summary of the font changes that have been made that I am
aware of since we started incorporating Xmian's patches, to help you
understand OOo's behaviour between the versions:
* Added Ximian fontconfig patches. With these, OOo queries
fontconfig for a list of available fonts, but all other font
displaying/sizing/formatting etc is still done in the usual
way. That's why OOo did not start supporting any other
fontconfig features such as ttc support, artifical italics,
* Added Ximian patch to remove workarounds for displays < 96 DPI,
so that UI fonts and documents zoomed at 100% show at true size
on displays with a lower DPI.
* KDE integration: Previously, OOo only used the name of the
default KDE font. Patched to also retrieve the font size,
italic/bold setting for both the general font and the menu font.
* Increased default font size for non-KDE/Gnome users from '8' to
'12' (not sure if this really is a point size). That was a
mistake; backed out for -3.
* Backed out patch to increase default font size; it now only
slightly enlarges it (maybe this needs removing completely?)
* Added patch to make it possible to select which desktop
integration OOo chooses. Set OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP to 'gnome',
'kde' or 'none' to force which desktop integration OOo uses.
* KDE integration: Fixed the 'use system UI fonts' setting - this
never worked in KDE integration mode. Added Nikita's patch to
check KDEDIR and KDEHOME for a user-supplied KDE directory.
* Gnome and KDE integration: Added gui-scale-ruler, which reduces
the toolbar font slightly to improve the ruler appearance.
* Gnome integration: merged openoffice.org-gnome back into the
main package, since most users did not seem to find it. The
group of users who had installed openoffice.org but not -gnome
will now find their desktop integration works again and the
icons are back.
So, let the testing begin :) I've purposely not uploaded to unstable
yet because I'm not sure if there's still something I've overlooked. If
you do still feel something is wrong, I'd appreciate the following
- Which desktop integration mode you use (and double check that OOo
really did detect your desktop correctly by using OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP to
- Which DPI setting is your X server set to? Is it the correct setting
for your display size and resolution? Is the Xft.dpi property set?
- Can you provide a screenshot, if OOo is wildly different from other
programs on your desktop?
Thanks for your feedback,
 http://openoffice.debian.net/mirrors.html - I pushed the packages to
ftp.freenet.de; other mirrors may not have synced yet.