Building using the new source package layout [ was Re: Debian / Gnome OO.o ]

Hi Jérôme,

Sorry to take a while to respond to you mail.  When you wrote your mail I
wasn't really sure how we would do the integration, and I wanted to have a
look at it before I could answer your mail.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:27:03PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> Le lun 11/08/2003 à 13:02, Chris Halls a écrit :
> > Michael talked to me last week about his idea to use the same common
> > patchset and packaging scripts.  His suggestion is for us to use the same
> > patch directory, with a mechanism to select which of the packages are
> > actually applied.
> Great!
> When do we start using it? :-)

Now :)

I have dropped the use of dbs from our packages and restructured the
.orig.tar.gz tarball so that it is the same layout as upstream, instead of
the tarball-within-a-tarball that we had before.  The debian directory stays
as before, except that debian/patches is no longer used.  The Ximian
ooo-build tree is placed at the same level as the debian directory.

This is how to get the new layout from CVS:

download the tarball and unpack it:
  http://people.debian.org/~halls/openoffice/1.1rc3/openoffice.org_1.0.99+1.1rc3.orig.tar.gz
    (this tarball is zipped using gzip --rsyncable, so you can use rsync to
    reduce the download time for future tarballs :)

check out oo-deb/debian from our CVS as usual.  You need the latest HEAD
revision.  Have a look at debian/changelog:  I documented most of the
changes in there already, although I haven't included all the new patches
from Ximian yet.

Then, you need the Ximian CVS tree.  I scripted a build rule to make it
easier:

  cd openoffice.org-1.0.99+1.1rc3
  debian/rules get-ooo-build

After that, you can build as usual.  Well, it'll break probably somewhere,
but this is the bleeding edge :)  I've got up to vcl so far.

The list of patches to apply is in ooo-build/OOO_1_1_RC3/apply.  You'll see
I've already been through and added around half the patches.  I added
comments for those patches I decided not to include yet.  I haven't looked
at them all yet.

> Could you tell me what I could do to begin to work immediately on the RC3 version?

Follow the instructions and try to build.  If you want to look at the
remaining patches and suggest which might be included, that would help,
although I'd like to quickly read over the ones that we do include, to give
me an idea of what the changes do.

> I already checked/modified some of the patches, so I can already spare
> you some work.

Yes, thanks.  I think I've included them all now, right?

> > The idea is for our packages to use his scripts to apply the patches instead
> > of the modified dbs we currently have.  So we would add the existing
> > Debian-only patches into Michael's directory, and probably stop using
> > debian/patches.  The remaining patches can be converted to -p0 format.
> Those patches should then be shared. Where? At Ximian's or OOo's?

In gnome CVS.  You'll find them in ooo-build/patches/RC3 once you've
unpacked the packages as I described.

> > > Why don't you sort these patches as gnome-dependent or not?
> > > I can help you, if you want.
> >
> > Miachel created the mechanism for us to tag the patches that we want to
> > include/exclude, now it is up to us to decide what to include.
> It seems some of the patches are redundant, we should work out which
> ones. How do we start?

I hope I have done that already - I only copied over the patches from our
packages that did not exist in Michael's patch set.

> > > I don't quite see why Ximian should do Debian-specific parts, and as I
> > > understand well, it is not, it is just related to the
> > > desktop-friendliness.
> >
> > The Debian-specific mechanism that Michael added was for the Debian team,
> > not for himself.  It is for us to decide which patches we will include in
> > our packages.
> I was also thinking about doing it so that other distributions could use
> this mechanism also with as less burden as possible.

That is possible already.  Each patch can be tagged with

[ Distro1, Distro2, ... ]

It is just a matter of adding the distro name to the patches that they want
to include.