Re: [Open Office] Re: Debian / Gnome OO.o

Le lun 11/08/2003 à 13:02, Chris Halls a écrit :
> Hi Jerome,
>
> Michael talked to me last week about his idea to use the same common
> patchset and packaging scripts.  His suggestion is for us to use the same
> patch directory, with a mechanism to select which of the packages are
> actually applied.
Great!
When do we start using it? :-)
Could you tell me what I could do to begin to work immediately on the RC3 version?

I already checked/modified some of the patches, so I can already spare
you some work.

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:27:57PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > > 	Such that we can host these 5 (?) Debian patches in CVS; and share the
> > > burden of releasing together.
> > >
> > > 	If we do that it's no problem to get you CVS accounts to play with
> > > 'openoffice'.
> > >
> > > 	That's at least one suggestion,
> > I don't quite understand what it's all for, as we still can't use it
> > directly into Debian because of the patch format (-p0 vs -p1).
>
> The idea is for our packages to use his scripts to apply the patches instead
> of the modified dbs we currently have.  So we would add the existing
> Debian-only patches into Michael's directory, and probably stop using
> debian/patches.  The remaining patches can be converted to -p0 format.
Those patches should then be shared. Where? At Ximian's or OOo's?

> > Why don't you sort these patches as gnome-dependent or not?
> > I can help you, if you want.
>
> Miachel created the mechanism for us to tag the patches that we want to
> include/exclude, now it is up to us to decide what to include.
It seems some of the patches are redundant, we should work out which
ones. How do we start?

> > I don't quite see why Ximian should do Debian-specific parts, and as I
> > understand well, it is not, it is just related to the
> > desktop-friendliness.
>
> The Debian-specific mechanism that Michael added was for the Debian team,
> not for himself.  It is for us to decide which patches we will include in
> our packages.
I was also thinking about doing it so that other distributions could use
this mechanism also with as less burden as possible.

--
Jérôme Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net>