Re: [Open Office] Re: Debian / Gnome OO.o

Hi Jerome,

Michael talked to me last week about his idea to use the same common
patchset and packaging scripts.  His suggestion is for us to use the same
patch directory, with a mechanism to select which of the packages are
actually applied.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:27:57PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> > 	Such that we can host these 5 (?) Debian patches in CVS; and share the
> > burden of releasing together.
> >
> > 	If we do that it's no problem to get you CVS accounts to play with
> > 'openoffice'.
> >
> > 	That's at least one suggestion,
> I don't quite understand what it's all for, as we still can't use it
> directly into Debian because of the patch format (-p0 vs -p1).

The idea is for our packages to use his scripts to apply the patches instead
of the modified dbs we currently have.  So we would add the existing
Debian-only patches into Michael's directory, and probably stop using
debian/patches.  The remaining patches can be converted to -p0 format.

> Why don't you sort these patches as gnome-dependent or not?
> I can help you, if you wan't.

Miachel created the mechanism for us to tag the patches that we want to
include/exclude, now it is up to us to decide what to include.

> I don't quite see why Ximian should do Debian-specific parts, and as I
> understand well, it is not, it is just related to the
> desktop-friendliness.

The Debian-specific mechanism that Michael added was for the Debian team,
not for himself.  It is for us to decide which patches we will include in
our packages.