Re: What about localization support ?

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 12:10:54PM +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 05:39:01PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > Right now, I've the french extension on my hard disk (not installed, yet).
> > It's a bunch of zip files and the setup program. That's quite anoying since
> > it does not allow me to understand what will happen when I launch this setup
> > program. It gives me the feeling of doing reverse engineering of a free
> > software :-(
> >
> > In the package, we have a bunch of files in
> > /usr/lib/openoffice/program/resource, all of them looking like gal64101.res:
> > few letters, string "64101", dot, string "res". Most of them look like DBase
> > 3 data file.
> >
> > In the zip file comming with the french resource, they are of the form
> > "64133", which seems logic when 33 is the phone code for France (kind of
> > logic at least, since people speaking french don't live nececerely in France).
> >
> > I've tried to unpack these files in the corresponding directory, with no
> > result. Damn, I'll have to wait till monday !
>
> Well, to get the files to run you'll need to edit the autoresponse file in
> /etc/openoffice and change the language, then rerun setup I would guess.

It does not do the trick. When I do that, the setup program begins to speak
french, but it does not change the interface.

> The French language (and all other languages) are already part of the source
> package - they just need enabling by modifying the --use-lang paramter
> option to configure.  Once that is done, the installation set will be
> available in instsetoo/unixlngi4.pro/<nn>/normal, where <nn> is the language
> number.  The language files are also be available in the solver tree, once
> it has been built.

Yes, ok, for configure time, but how do you choose at runtime which language
you want to use ?

Is it even possible to split the language support in several packages, or
does the monster change its library depending on the --use-lang flags passed
at compilation ?

> > Ok, I'll do that. I'll give a try, but I'm not very happy with tricking
> > around this brain damaged localization system. Do you know when the switch
> > is scheduled ?
>
> I would guess for the next major release (1.1 or 2.0?).  I'd be surprised to
> see it in the stable version within 6 months, although I'm really just
> guessing.

That's really sad, IHMO.

Thanks, Mt.