Re: What about localization support ?

Hi Martin,

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:18:24PM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> I would like to know if someone works on packaging the localization
> extensions to OO. I would like to help on this point if some already looked
> at this, and I may look alone if nobody is interessed.

We've had several requests for localised packages and dictionaries, but
AFAIK, no-one has offered yet to work on these.  So yes, we'd be grateful
for more help with this.

> My wife often use OO, and like it pretty much (she does not speak about
> installing Win any more, yuhu).

You made it further than me - it is only just beginning to dawn on mine that
M$ may not be a nice as they first seem. :)

> I'm pretty curious about how translations are handeled in OO. It seems a
> specific solution is used, instead of the plain good old gettext. Am I
> right? do someone here knows why this choice was done ? I guess it's because
> of java (java is only supported by the upcoming version of gettext), isn't
> it?

I don't know the exact details, but I think they are moving towards
something like gettext, but in 1.0 is it still handled differently.  To
build another language means adding language numebrs to the --use-lang
option to configure, and a seperate installation set is built for each
language specified.  I saw a comment that only one directory is different
for each language (<openoffice-root>/program/resource), but I haven't looked
to see if that is true.  I have made some notes in TODO.Debian in the
package itself.  Other resources are available at lang.openoffice.org.

If you can, join us in #debian-oo on irc.openprojects.net, where we hang out
quite a lot of the time.  I will be away until Monday, so I'll answer any
further questions then.

Thanks again,
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany