Re: Multiple workstation install; nis, nfs and so on

Hi Emanuele,

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:09:41AM +0200, Emanuele Gissi wrote:
> So I am asking for some advices to the list:
> 1) Which directories should I share if I install the deb (to have the same
> templates, same gallery on all the workstations)?

There is much to be done on the placement of the files within the package.
Currently, almost everything is simply moved from the place that setup puts
it into /usr/lib/openoffice.  You can look for files within the package by
using

  dpkg -L openoffice.org

Or, you can view the list at

  http://www.mx1.ru/~chris/oo-deb/debian/openoffice.org.files

For the Italian dictionary, I think that's installed seperately and has not
yet been packaged.  I don't know about the templates.  I've only had a
working OOo for a while and haven't used it long enough to know about these.

> 2) Will kde integration (icons, mimelnk, ...) be integrated in the package,
> for example with a debian menu entry?

I've started on this.  Currently, the menu entries are there for KDE
(without icons), and, provided the user has run the 'openoffice' command at
least once before, the menu entries will work, except for spadmin.

None of the Debian OOo team use GNOME, so it won't be likely to be a high
priority for us yet.  The files are already in the package - it just needs
someone who uses GNOME to look at where they should go and what needs to be
modified to make them work.

> 3) What about making a package with international dictionaries?

Yes please ;)

We don't have the time to do this yet, so we'd be glad if someone would like
to take this on.

The same thing for different language builds.

> 4) How to give all the new users the same initial settings?

I don't know yet!  We have a customisable setup response file in
/etc/openoffice, but I don't know what can be done with that yet.

Thanks for your interest.  I hope that helped you :)

Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany
Yahoo:hagga12000 ICQ:36940860 MSN:chris.halls@nikocity.de