Re: openoffice.org_1.0.1-5_i386.changes REJECTED

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:17:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 05:38:07PM +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> > There are .src files in OOO, that are used to generate: a) resources
> > files with translations b) header files with keys that are used by the
> > program to access these resources. So splitting these .src files from
> > the OpenOffice.Org source is not like splitting them from the binary.
>
> [...]
>
> > The OOo team is small (3-5 part time volunteers, and only 2 are actually
> > building complete packages), and we need as much support as we can from
> > upstream.  We're trying to keep the Debian-specific patches to a minimum so
> > that they are willing to support user problems directly.  The .orig.tar.gz
> > only has 1 change in 37000 files; the split that you suggested would touch a
> > lot more.
>
> [...]
>
> > 1. Leave the packages as they are for now.  We will minimise mirror impact
> >    by only uploading occasionally, [...]
>
> > 2. Create two source packages: openoffice.org and openoffice.org-lang, which
> >    would have the same .orig.tar sources, but perform separate builds. [...]
>
> > 3. Do the split by project before uploading.  [...]
>
> There's also:
>
> 2a. Create two source packages: openoffice.org and openoffice.org-l10n, the
>     latter of which excludes all the files not necessary for building l10n
>     stuff, and tweaks the build system so that doesn't break anything.
>
> Would 2a make for a more reasonably sized source package than 2? Or is
> most of the size of the source package in the files you have to use in
> both packages?

Based on rough calculations, the size of the two source packages could be
reduced by about 25%.  The problem is, it would take quite a lot of time
that would be better spent on 3, and would be thrown away when 3 was done.

Work needed to do 2a:
  - Hack build system to only build translations instead of source.  Same
    for module install script.  Those have to be optional and per-module
    because the source still has to be built for the tools that create the
    langpack files.
  - Work out which category each of 105 modules falls in - lang only or
    source build and hack debian/rules to build differently.  The langpacks
    are not just translated strings; they also have stuff like templates,
    bitmaps, hyphenation, wizards etc.
  - Work out which file needs to be in which source package(s).  There are
    37000 so that'll need scripting.
  - The installer module will now be broken in the langpack build, so modify
    the other package to generate an extra .deb containing files needed to
    generate the language packs.
  - Modify the packaging scripts