openoffice font problems

I am running

and when I start up oo.o calc with a previously created spreadsheet, I
get no words in my menus.  I can see some of the icons, but all of the
text boxes are way small, and there is no top menu at all.  It is as if
my menu fonts are about -1 point.

If I hit ALT-F, up comes a menu with pixmaps in it, but no words.  This
all used to work before.  Also, I see that there is a
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/fonts directory.  However, under
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/fonts/ is the truetype directory, and in that
is only a few files.  Should there be more files in there?

I also installed the ttf-openoffice package, same problem.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem here recently, so if I
don't see it on the oo.o page on debian, I guess I will file a bug later
on today.

rob