RE: Openoffice.org and korean language support

Am Mit, 2002-09-18 um 21.09 schrieb Niklaus Giger:
> Dear Jürgen
>
> I just browsed the mailing list a little bit and I will try to answer your
> questions:
> >I try to setup a german/korean system system.
> So do I, as I do not want to continue to support my old Mac for my korean
> wife. But I think it will take us still a couple of months or years to get
> there.
>
> >I have managed to get a korean gnome 2.x desktop workin.
> Which gnome applications work?
>
> >The korean and german environments have been setup with
> >set-language-env.
> A good start. I suppose you also installed some korean fonts. In the next
> examples I will assume that you have installed the ttf-baekmuk package.
>
> I am using KDE 3.0 and ami as my environment though a few things might be
> different. For KDE 3.0 e.g. it is important that ami starts before KDE is
> started. set-language-env for korean ensures this. (Look at the file
> .xsession).
>
> >Openoffice does not display any korean character. It simply displays
> >question marks. Looks like a fonnt problem?
> Sure. The following few changes worked for me. I uninstalled any
> x-font-manager like xfs, xfstt and changed /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 accordingly.
> For the printer to be able to print korean all used TrueType-Font-directories
> must must be added to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
> For Openoffice you have to start the OpenOffice Printer Administation (Drucker
> Verwaltung). Then press the "fonts..." (Schriften...) button. Add all used
> TrueType-Font-directories (may be using "Generate symbolic links").
> In my case I the TrueType-Font-directories were
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/baekmuk
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-deco
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice
>
> Now restart OpenOffice-Writer and you should see at the end of the font list
> some korean entries for beakmuk, gulim, etc.
>
> Go to "Extras..Options", enable "Asian languages" and set your default
> languages for european and asian languages.
>
> Now select a korean font. You should be able to switch your input method
> (probably by typing <shift>-<space>) to korean. Try typing a few characters
> to see whether the korean chacters will appear or not.
>
> If you are running ami 1.0.11 or earlier, you will have problems if you are
> using a qwertz keyboard (as your german mailing address suggests). Try to
> compile ami 1.0.99 (tar's are floating around somewhere), afterwards it is
> easy to add a qwertz keyboard layout. (I can send it to you if you want.)
>
> >I have not the slightest idea - even after reading some documentation -
> >how to get the korean language settings to work.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Niklaus Giger
> Wieshoschet 6
> CH-8753 Mollis
> Tel. ++41 55 612 20 54 (privat)
> [...]
Thank a lot for your hints.
Aim now works. The qwerty problem is not a serious issue since the
system will be rigged with a korean keyboard. I am doing the
administration only.
Openoffice does print korean letters and does offer the beakmuk fonts
for textprocesing.

There is only one problem left. The openoffice menus are not working. I
still get "???" on all menues. Probably the right font missing? But
which font do i have to install?  I have tried the OO1.0 upstream
version, the same problem.

Regards

--
Juergen Lueters