RE: Openoffice.org and korean language support

Dear Jürgen

I just browsed the mailing list a little bit and I will try to answer your
questions:
>I try to setup a german/korean system system.
So do I, as I do not want to continue to support my old Mac for my korean
wife. But I think it will take us still a couple of months or years to get
there.

>I have managed to get a korean gnome 2.x desktop workin.
Which gnome applications work?

>The korean and german environments have been setup with
>set-language-env.
A good start. I suppose you also installed some korean fonts. In the next
examples I will assume that you have installed the ttf-baekmuk package.

I am using KDE 3.0 and ami as my environment though a few things might be
different. For KDE 3.0 e.g. it is important that ami starts before KDE is
started. set-language-env for korean ensures this. (Look at the file
.xsession).

>Openoffice does not display any korean character. It simply displays
>question marks. Looks like a fonnt problem?
Sure. The following few changes worked for me. I uninstalled any
x-font-manager like xfs, xfstt and changed /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 accordingly.
For the printer to be able to print korean all used TrueType-Font-directories
must must be added to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
For Openoffice you have to start the OpenOffice Printer Administation (Drucker
Verwaltung). Then press the "fonts..." (Schriften...) button. Add all used
TrueType-Font-directories (may be using "Generate symbolic links").
In my case I the TrueType-Font-directories were
/usr/share/fonts/truetype
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/baekmuk
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-straight
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie-deco
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice

Now restart OpenOffice-Writer and you should see at the end of the font list
some korean entries for beakmuk, gulim, etc.

Go to "Extras..Options", enable "Asian languages" and set your default
languages for european and asian languages.

Now select a korean font. You should be able to switch your input method
(probably by typing <shift>-<space>) to korean. Try typing a few characters
to see whether the korean chacters will appear or not.

If you are running ami 1.0.11 or earlier, you will have problems if you are
using a qwertz keyboard (as your german mailing address suggests). Try to
compile ami 1.0.99 (tar's are floating around somewhere), afterwards it is
easy to add a qwertz keyboard layout. (I can send it to you if you want.)

>I have not the slightest idea - even after reading some documentation -
>how to get the korean language settings to work.

I hope this helps.

Regards

--
Niklaus Giger