Re: [ANNOUNCE] OpenOffice.org 1.0.1rc and status update

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 02:23:22PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Chris Halls <chris.halls@gmx.de> [2002.07.10.1316 +0200]:
> >  - Place the user install in ~/OpenOffice.org1.0.1
> >      (this is the default for installs from the .tar.gz, too)
>
> why does it have to be such a clunky name?

That's what upstream calls it :-/  Because we may have these directories
lying around and becoming disused, it is better for them to be visible, and
the closer we are to upstream's names, the less potential confusion we have.
1.0.1 significantly reduced the gap between our code and the .debs and IMO
that is good.  I hang out on #openoffice.org and see user queries being
greeted in surprise by non-debian people when there is no ~/OpenOffice1.0
directory.

> couldn't you move
> ~/.openoffice out of the way if present and install into that
> directory?

That would break downgrades to 1.0.0.  The ~/.openoffice name was chosen
before we knew that upgrades would have to have a totally new directory.
Also, having a hidden directory means that users don't realise that there
may be unused OOo directories lying around in their home directories.  That
is maybe acceptable for one version, but not multiple versions.

I did not implement the 'perfect' solution - just something that would work
immediately, keep user problems to a minimum, allow up- and downgrades and
be more similar to upstream's behaviour.  Those were my initial priorities
and I did not want to spend a lot of time on it until I had seen discussion
about it after the official release.

Maybe we'll all end up saying 1.0.1 is perfect and we don't need to keep the
older 1.0.0 user directory lying around.  I just don't know at this point -
I need to wait and see how things work out.