major problems with -3

   I was happily running the stock OpenOffice 1.0 build and made
the major blunder of trying to install the new openoffice.org
1.0-3 package on debian ppc sid. Now I can't run openoffice at all.
I had deinstalled the old copy from /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0
and removed the .soffice, .sversionrc and .openoffice files/dirs
from my account. After doing an apt-get install on the new
openoffice.org package it installs however when I run the
openoffice program I get windows appearing but no text for the menu
items. This problem looks similar to what happened with one of
Kevin Hendrick's builds some months back when the font registry
was missing an entry in oo.
    What is really annoying me is that I can't reinstall the stock
version now. Doing a dpkg -purge openoffice.org and then removing
the . files in my directory doesn't appear to be sufficient to
purge my machine of the debian package. When I follow the normal
installation instructions for the stock openoffice release it
installs in /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0 as before. However when
as a user I run setup, the setup program starts up but craps out
with an blank window appearing. To me this suggests that the
debian openoffice is installing stuff outside of the ability
of dpkg to purge and these libs/binaries are conflicting with
the stock build.
    I STRONGLY urge the debian openoffice.org maintainers to make
sure they can install on a virgin machine, purge the installation
and then reinstall the stock non-debain openoffice installer.
This is essential to make sure that we aren't polluting peoples
machines with files not tightly associated with the openoffice.org1.0
package such that dpkg -purge can remove them.
                          Jack