-3 problems solved

     I found the bad player in my attempt to install
openoffice.org 1.0-3 on my debian ppc sid machine.
I had tried to removed msttcorefonts from my system
with dpkg --purge at some point. That appears to be
insufficient to remove all traces of the downloaded
mstt fonts but deconfigures them thus causing openoffice
to have problems with its fonts. I reinstalled
msttcorefonts allowing it to download and reinstall
the mstt fonts and now openoffice.org works fine.
                           Jack