Re: [dev] Re: Some Issues regarding Debian versus OOo versions and Support?

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 07:47:55AM -0400, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:
> I think we can actually change the makefile.mk to build right from the
> Mozilla 0.9.5 build tree.  So would it be a problem with your policies to
> have both trees being used for the OOo build at the same time.  Not
> patches are needed for Mozilla as long as you use mozilla 0.9.5.

It should be possible to do somehow.  It looks like this is not available
within Debian anymore; is the source anywhere in OOo CVS, or does it need
downloading from somewhere else.

> > gpc is not removed at all.
> > Peter Novodvorski created a replacement, so we can drop gpc. He
> > announced it, here:
> >
> > 	http://lists.debian.org/debian-openoffice/2002/debian-openoffice-200204
> >/msg00069.html
> >
> > but it does not work yet.
>
> That's great!  But Peter has never mentioned that on dev@openoffice.org
> has he?  I did not see any announcement.  How close it it to working?

Well, it's more the removal of the feature that uses the gpc library.  And
he said to me it's not working perfectly yet.  The main part is the removal
of the calls to libgpc in PolyPolygon::ImplDoOperation.  I don't think we
can call that a replacement.

Jan wrote:
> > And yes, we disabled java in the setup prozess.

Um, are you sure Jan?

$ grep JavaSupport rsfile.global.txt
JavaSupport=preinstalled_or_none

The current .debs were built by me with Blackdown Java installed.

> But what if we supply the needed classes code (built with jikes) to
> interface to Blackdown's Java (already Debian packaged) and leave it in
> the setup process.  If Java is not found, no harm done.  If java is found
> (the user has already installed the Blackdown Java jre or jdk, then you
> could recognize it and use it as normal.

For a package to go into Debian main, it needs to meet the Debian Free
Software Guidelines (DFSG) [1].  Also, it may not depend on any software
that does not meet the DFSG, either at build-time or runtime.  So we would
need to build those classes with a DSFG-free class library.  Is that
possible?  gcj does not work, does anything else?

> > We are going to build the fully OpenOffice.org Package. On I386, it will
> > work without limit the product itself. I only disabled mozab for PPC,
> > but I am not happy with it!
>
> That's good to hear.

I already filed patches for all the large differences we have between the
official and Debian packages - but I think you noticed since I tagged a few
too many with the 1.0 keyword accidentaly ;-)

> If you join OOo then go ahead and tell Debian users to use Issuezilla
> because you will be there to help run the test cases and things and let me
> know where the code differs at all.  Then I am very happy.  No need to
> redirect things to debian-openoffice unless you want  to.

We're just talking about interim issues, really.  Once we can get our
project in the Debian bug system, we'll probably be better off using that.
Users can use that, and issues which aren't part of the packaging can be
forwarded to the Issuezilla and marked as such.  I have a list of about 10
issues already, most of which are problems with the .deb, not with OOo as
such.  As you've seen from my mistakes in filling issues yesterday, it's not
always obvious what to do first time :)

Debian users will generally have reported bugs to the Debian BTS before, so
we'll hopefully get a better signal-to-noise ratio.

> > >So how do you want to handle those issues.  Should I be redirecting all
> > >Issuezilla's involving Debian PPC Linux users to your mailing list or

Hopefully we can make that happen the other way around - issues go to us,
and then on to you when necessary

> > > will someone from your team be joining OOo formally to help with bug
> > > tracking and fixes for Debian users (obviously the latter is much
> > > better!).

The better our relationship with you, the more both your software and
our packages can benefit :)

Chris

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines