Re: Rename master branch to main

Le samedi 07 août 2021 à 16:49 +0200, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
> * Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-08-07 11:55]:
> > Le vendredi 06 août 2021 à 18:11 +0200, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
> > > Unfortunately, I could not find a way to update an existing cloned
> > > repository with the old branches "master" and "upstream". If someone know
> > > how to do it, please let me know. If you have already commit to your
> > > local master branch and not pushed them, I apologize for the
> > > inconvinience.
> >
> > The following may work (untested):
> >
> > git fetch
> > git branch --move upstream upstream/latest
> > git branch --move master debian/latest
> > git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/upstream/latest upstream/latest
> > git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/debian/latest debian/latest
> > git checkout upstream/latest
> > git pull
> > git checkout debian/latest
> > git pull
>
> Thanks, Sébastien. Your code almost fully worked. I needed just to add
> "git remote prune origin" before the first "git checkout" command. I
> added the resulting script to our admin repo [*].

I just fixed a bug in this script: the “prune” operation was done too
late, hence the upstream/latest was not correctly setup to track
origin/upstream/latest.

You will probably have to fix manually the local repositories that you
have already converted, by running:

 git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/upstream/latest upstream/latest

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer