Re: Rename master branch to main

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-03-08 11:57]:

Le dimanche 07 mars 2021 à 14:57 +0100, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-03-07 13:33]:

Le dimanche 07 mars 2021 à 12:41 +0100, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
With a culturally enlightened motivation, I would like to rename the
"master" branch into "main" in all Git repositories maintained by the
DOG. Are there any objections to this ?

I agree that a renaming would be a good idea, for the same reasons as you.

However, if we decide to rename, I think we should rather adopt DEP-14: https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/

In practice, this means that we would rename “master“ to “debian/latest”, and “upstream” to “upstream/latest”.

Perfect. Let us adopt DEP-14.

This will imply adding a debian/gbp.conf to all our repositories, and also updating the default branch in Gitlab config.

Ok.

We should also add "merge-mode = merge" to debian/gbp.conf (as we have discussed privately some time ago), such that the top-level .gitignore file is not deleted when merging new upstream versions.

If there are no objections, I will start the migration.

Sounds good to me.

Ok, I think I will be able to do the migration soon, at least before the bullseye release. The plan is as follows (for each repo):

1) Rename the "master" branch to "debian/latest" and "upstream" to "upstream/latest" (complying with DEP-14).

2) Make "debian/latest" the default branch.

3) Delete the "master" and "upstream" branches.

4) Create the file debian/gbp.conf with the following contents:

    [DEFAULT]
    debian-branch = debian/latest
    upstream-branch = upstream/latest
    pristine-tar = True
    [import-orig]
    merge-mode = merge

(N.B.: The settings for the pristine-tar and merge-mode above and not related to the changes in the branch names. Even though the values set are the defaults ones, they may be necessary to ensure that the personal values set in the developers' ~/.gbp.conf are appropriately overridden.)

I will try to automate the procedure to avoid errors due to manual operations. Please tell me whether you agree with the plan above or if I forgot something.

Best,