Re: Transition needed for Octave 6.3.0?

On 8/7/21 11:22 AM, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-08-07 17:17]:

Since bullseye is scheduled for release on 2021-08-14, we will soon be able to upload Octave 6.3.0 to unstable.

However, the release notes say:

This bug fix release breaks ABI compatibility with Octave 6.2.0. Re-build binaries (like .oct or .mex files) when updating to this version.

So my understanding is that this means we have to go through a full transition (as we do with major releases).

Surprisingly, the SOVERSION of liboctave has not been bumped in this release (it’s still liboctave 8). I do not know if this is an oversight from the upstream developers, or if the ABI breakage is unrelated to the interface of the library. If this is an oversight, then we should rename the liboctave8 package to something like “liboctave8b”.

I would ask the upstream authors to release a new version 6.3.1 with the correct SOVERSION (liboctave9).

In any case, we should try to understand what is the exact nature of the ABI breakage. I could not find useful information in the mercurial log. Maybe we should contact the Octave developers (if some of them are reading this, please follow up!).

As far as I know, there were no changes in interfaces in liboctave that required changing the "current" version of the library as described here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/3e5e88d9c85f/etc/HACKING.md#l337

The interface changes in liboctinterp that forced the change in the current version for that library were discussed here:

  https://octave.discourse.group/t/more-frequent-minor-releases/1127/16

The bug report that prompted the interface changes is here:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?60237

Comment #12 has links to the patches that changed interfaces.

jwe