Re: Forge packages recompiled against Octave 5 no longer depend on liboctave7

Now that the liboctave7 transition is over, let me revisit the issue:

* Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2019-10-05 00:39]:

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2019-10-04 10:12]:

I don’t think injecting an artificial liboctaveN dependency is a very good solution, because it violates the usual assumptions about dependencies on shared libraries, and it goes against upstream’s will to eliminate this dependency.

Nevertheless, I think we’ll have to design something along similar lines. Either adding versioned dependencies against Octave as Mike suggested, or introducing a virtual ABI package as is for example done for R.

Yes, injecting an artificial liboctaveN dependency is not a perfect solution. However, my code can be easily modified to inject the virtual package octave-abi-N instead of liboctaveN. The octave package must be changed such that the liboctaveN package provides octave-abi-N. What do you think?

I already posted the instructions here, but let me give them again:

git clone git@salsa.debian.org:pkg-octave-team/dh-octave.git dh-octave
cd dh-octave
git checkout inject-liboctaveN
debuild -us -uc
sudo debi

This will install version 0.6.2.0~ in your system. This version contains changes in dh_octave_substvar for injecting the appropriate dependency on the virtual package octave-abi-N, according to the version of the octave package used in the build. This is done only for add-on packages that provide .oct and .mex files.

In order to make this work, we must also change the octave package to make liboctaveN provide octave-abi-N.

Let me know what you think about this.