Re: octave/4.4.0-3 appears to break dynare/4.5.4-2 in testing

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:46:55AM +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 13-06-18 15:07, Paul Gevers wrote:
> > Dear maintainers,
> >
> > With a recent upload of octave the autopkgtest of dynare version 4.5.4-2
> > started to fail in testing. See:
> > https://ci.debian.net/packages/d/dynare/testing/amd64
> > and
> > https://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=octave
> >
> > Albeit both packages are involved in the auto-octave transition, I
> > already want to draw your attention to this regression as it seems
> > genuine. I have copied the error below.
>
> I saw an upload of dynare 4.5.5-2, which apparently tried to fix part of
> this, but now the test for dynare migration¹ fails with a segfault of
> octave. Looking at the list of installed packages and their versions, I
> suspect dynare is missing a *versioned* dependency on the latest octave.
> What do you think?

First, note that all this happens in the context of the octave 4.4 transition,
see #901155.

Dynare does de facto have a (kind of) versioned dependency, because it depends
on liboctave5, which is provided by octave 4.4. And octave 4.4 has a Breaks:
liboctave4.

I guess what's happening here is that the test bed contains dynare 4.5.5-2,
liboctave5 and octave 4.2.2-3 (and not 4.4), which is a combination which is
technically possible but indeed broken.

Maybe we could put the "Breaks: liboctave4" in liboctave5, but that would
probably complicate such transitions.

In any case, even though the dependency relationships are not perfect, nothing
is actually broken, and the problem will disappear after the transition is complete.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer