Re: Java configuration broken since Java 9

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 06:27:02PM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:

> I just filed #896438 against javahelper. Since Java 9 became the default
> Java, octave's configuration is not setting --with-java-libdir
> correctly. This can be seen in the buildd logs, for example 4.2.2-1
> versus 4.2.2-2.
>
> I don't know much about Java, but it looks to me like the directory
> layout has gotten a little simpler. Should we just encode our own logic
> into d/rules and drop javahelper? Is something like this good enough now
> for all release architectures?
>
>     JAVA_HOME := /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
>     JAVA_LIBDIR := $(shell if test -d $(JAVA_HOME)/lib/client; then echo $(JAVA_HOME)/lib/client; else echo $(JAVA_HOME)/lib/server; fi)

I implemented this solution, and dropped the Build-Depends on javahelper, since
it is now basically useless for us.

As a consequence, I have disabled Java on all architectures that do not have
OpenJDK 9.

I also reenabled Java on some other archs (armel, mips, mipsel, powerpc,
sparc64) where it is used to fail in the past, to see if they are now fixed. We
can disable Java there again before uploading 4.4 to unstable, if needed.

These changes are in commit 4381cb80c0, included in the upload of 4.3.92-1 that
I just made.

> Note that this is not backport-friendly, since stable has Java 8 which
> still uses the old directory layout ($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/$ARCH/server).

Ok, we’ll need to remember that when backporting 4.4.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer