Java configuration broken since Java 9

Hi,

I just filed #896438 against javahelper. Since Java 9 became the default
Java, octave's configuration is not setting --with-java-libdir
correctly. This can be seen in the buildd logs, for example 4.2.2-1
versus 4.2.2-2.

I don't know much about Java, but it looks to me like the directory
layout has gotten a little simpler. Should we just encode our own logic
into d/rules and drop javahelper? Is something like this good enough now
for all release architectures?

    JAVA_HOME := /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
    JAVA_LIBDIR := $(shell if test -d $(JAVA_HOME)/lib/client; then echo $(JAVA_HOME)/lib/client; else echo $(JAVA_HOME)/lib/server; fi)

Note that this is not backport-friendly, since stable has Java 8 which
still uses the old directory layout ($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/$ARCH/server).

There is currently no way to compile an Octave that will encode the
correct path to libjvm.so and work with either Java 8 or Java 9. I am
hopeful that Octave 5 will be able to find and load the correct
libjvm.so at runtime instead of using a compiled-in file name.

--
mike