Re: Removing get-orig-source target

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 08:59:51PM +0200, Rafael Laboissière wrote:

> * Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2018-04-13 17:04]:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 01:01:56PM +0200, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
> > >
> > > Debian Policy 4.1.4 mandates the removal of the get-orig-source
> > > target from debian/rules.  There are four packages that use it:
> > > dynare, octave, oxctave-ltfat, and octave-tsa.  If there are no
> > > objections, I remove the get-orig-source target from these packages.
> >
> > To be precise, it does not mandate the removal, it just no longer
> > mention it (so you are free to keep it, especially if for some reason
> > it's not possible to replace it by a debian/watch).
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  Does this mean that we can upgrade
> Standards-Version to 4.1.4 without removing the get-orig-source target ?

In theory, yes. But given the contents of the 4 get-orig-source targets that we
have, better remove them.

> > I am ok with the removal, as long as debian/watch+uscan achieves the
> > same (and I think it does in our packages).
>
> These are the current commands in the get-orig-source targets of the
> relevant packages:
>
> dynare:
>        uscan --force-download --rename --destdir .
>
> octave:
>        uscan --force-download --rename --destdir .
>
> octave-ltfat:
>        uscan --verbose --force-download --repack --compression=xz
>
> octave-tsa:
>        uscan --verbose --force-download --repack-compression xz
>
> (Note that the rule for octave-tsa is buggy.)
>
> Options "repack" and "compression" can be put into opts in debian/watch.
> However, this is not the case for options "force-download", "rename",
> "destdir", and "verbose".
>
> What is the use of "--destdir ."?

It's because by default uscan stores the tarball in the directory above (".."),
while get-orig-source was mandating to use the current directory (".").

I think you can just drop these rules, without any further modifications. We
were already using uscan directly anyways.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer