Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Moving to git-buildpackage for octave

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:10:15AM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> "John W. Eaton" <jwe@octave.org> writes:
>
> > On  8-Nov-2011, Thomas Weber wrote:
> >
> > | Like it or not, git has an order of magnitude more
> > | followers than Mercurial[1], a better external "social
> > | infrastructure"
> >
> > If those are the best reasons for using some software, then I guess we
> > should all be using Matlab on Windows.
>
> You probably misunderstood Thomas' point. He was comparing alternative
> options to be used within the context of Debian: this automatically
> excludes non-free software. And I think that popularity criteria are
> relevant (though not the only relevant ones) as long as they don't take
> precedence over software freedom.

Rule of thumb in free software: it's easier to find help for popular software
than for unpopular software. And yes, that's a big reason for me.

And frankly, git is a tool. It hasn't hindered me so far and none of the
current issues could be fixed or resolved by either of them.

	Thomas