Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Moving to git-buildpackage for octave

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 05:45:00PM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 7 November 2011 17:31, Thomas Weber <tweber@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anyone still have patches that are not yet pushed into the octave
> > git repository? I would like to change it to git-buildpackage layout,
> > with just the 3.2.4 sources (which suits fine, as stable has 3.2.4 as
> > well).
> >
> > Oh, and if you are against that change, please say so as well.
>
> I think we should use hg since Octave itself uses hg.

No, and that's final. Like it or not, git has an order of magnitude more
followers than Mercurial[1], a better external "social infrastructure" and
a better support in Debian.

> For projects that closely maintain packaging with upstream, it works
> better to use a unified DVCS (no, hg-git is not a solution).

I have yet to see a single project that actually does that. And I don't
see us doing it in the foreseeable future.

[1] And that's despite the fact that Mercurial is (via TortoiseHg)
really usable on Windows, which I wouldn't say about git.

	Thomas