Re: Intent to NMU camomile to fix longstanding l10n bugs

Hello Kyle,
On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 01:35:20PM +0200, Kyle Robbertze wrote:
> On 2018/12/23 13:28, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Hello Kyle,
> >> I did too, eventually just resorting to writing the man pages directly
> >> without using xml.
> >
> > I actually have it working *with* xml, I can send you the changes. I
> > suggest keeping it this way, as this contains more information.  (I
> > have lots of other packages also using an xml based workflow just
> > fine).
> >
> > If you go for plaintext, what did you do about 758118 and 865968, i.e.
> > the translated man pages? (This was my main motivation).
>
> I used the manpage LANG extension support. i.e. camomilecharmap.de.1,
> camomilecharmap.pt.1, etc. You can see the updated package in the git
> repo [1]. Please do send me the XML changes you made, as just changing
> translation files would definitely be preferable and easier to maintain.

I tarred up the entire tree, you can find it here:

http://www.helgefjell.de/data/camomile-0.8.5.tar.xz

I basically modified the translation files de.po and pt.po slightly (to get
the proper extension). This was the tricky part.

Otherwise I updated
a) xml-man/po4a/po4a.cfg
   to actually do the creation of the localized xml pages (this is necessary
   if the original version changes)

b) libcamomile-ocaml-dev.manpages
    to actually install the translated man pages

c) copyright
   to denote the copyright of the translators

d) changelog
   to record what I've done

That's it. Basically the only tricky part was the change of de.po and
pt.po.

If you keep this system updates of the english man page can be easily
tracked and lead to updates of the translated man pages (either if you
ask the previous translators or if they discover the updates on the
automatic Debian pages). Also new translation might come in.

Some slight polishing might still be necessary and maybe documenting
the "trick" to the po files.

If you need more information or additional help, do not hesitate to
ask.

Greetings

       Helge