Re: Preparation of the transition to OCaml 4.05.0: status update

On 21/07/2017 19:23, Ximin Luo wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>> The following packages were built with a version more recent than in unstable: ocaml findlib camlp4 ocamlbuild labltk menhir tophide.
>>

> I just pushed my updates to ocamlbuild findlib camlp4 to git. I delayed uploading them in order to fix the other-arch FTBFS for ocaml in experimental first, but I probably should have pushed them to git earlier to avoid duplicated work. They are the same as what's distributed in my people.debian.org APT repo.

Don't worry: I took ocaml, findlib, camlp4 and ocamlbuild from your
people.debian.org APT repo. As far as labltk and tophide are concerned,
they are fixed in git, but don't work with current unstable so I didn't
upload them. Finally, menhir is struggling through NEW.

> I'm afraid we might get a lot of FTBFS on kfreebsd-* when we finally do the transition for real. We got a lot of test failures due to dup3/pipe2 not being implemented:
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=ocaml&arch=kfreebsd-amd64&ver=4.05.0-1&stamp=1500307585&raw=0
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=ocaml&arch=kfreebsd-i386&ver=4.05.0-1&stamp=1500309622&raw=0
>
> This includes regressions in old passing tests, as well as failing new tests. My guess is that upstream tweaked some things to use dup3/pipe2 instead. Unfortunately these are not available on Debian kfreebsd-*, see #827935 for related discussion. I've disabled these tests so that the ocaml package still builds, but the underlying problem still remains.

There are very few occurrences of dup3 and pipe2 in OCaml sources, and
looking at them, upstream indeed "tweaked some things to use dup3/pipe2
instead". But the codepath is conditioned to the presence of HAS_DUP3
and HAS_PIPE2. One has to make these variables disappear on kfreebsd.

Stéphane